Saturday, August 28, 2010

Work Nightmare

I had a nightmare last night.

I lost my job.

My boss told me that because student attendance was down,
she needed to get rid of one teacher,
the teacher with the lowest sonority
- which was me -

She said that she didn't want to get rid of me -
so instead she went with the 'draw a name out of a hat' technique ...

... and she pulled out my name.

Sad, right?

In my dream, I walked the halls on my last day of work.

Crying,
knowing how much I'd miss the kids.

Smelling,
taking deep breaths in order to remember the smell of the school.

Soaking it all in.

I walked to my car on my last day,
and cried in the parking lot.

I woke up this morning with real tears running down my face.

And so, so grateful to have a job that I love so much.

To share it with children who want to learn and have fun.

And grateful that it wasn't real.

It was a nightmare.

Next Wednesday will mark the 1st day of school.

I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anna said...

So many of us would be crying with you! And then we'd organize protests. And homeschool our kids, hiring you to be their teacher. :) See you at the ice cream social!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Lisa. You've lost so much in the past year it's no wonder you dream about loss. So glad this one was one you could wake up from. I love the picture of you with the kids--they must adore you!