Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What About The Other 35%?

I buy fair-trade coffee as much as possible.

But on Saturday (out of convenience [and yes, I felt guilty]), I stopped by my neighborhood Starbucks.

And this is what I read on my coffee cup:
YOU.
BOUGHT 228 MILLION POUNDS OF RESPONSIBLY
GROWN, ETHICALLY TRADED COFFEE LAST YEAR.

Everything we do, you do. You stop by for a coffee.
And just by doing that, you let Starbucks buy more coffee
from farmers who are good to their workers, community
and planet. Starbucks bought 65% of our coffee this way
last year -- 228 million pounds -- and we're working with
farmers to make it 100%. It's using our size for good,
and you make it all possible. Way to go, you.

OK.

So ... ever since I've read this cup, all I can think about is the other 35%.

What about the other 35%, Starbucks?

When will they be "treated well by their farmers?"

You say "soon."

But WHEN, Starbucks?

WHEN?

No comments: