Monday, December 1, 2008

Emotional Confusion

My mind is so full right now that when I sit down to blog, I lay my fingers on the home-row, and nothing happens.

I am filled with so many emotions right now that I'm crying at the drop of a hat.

I leave for Africa tomorrow.

TOMORROW people (well, technically Wednesday am, but it's so dang early in the morning I'm considering it Tuesday)!

I am so hopeful, excited, happy, blessed, loved, scared, nervous, ecstatic, anxious, and proud all rolled into one.

And the feelings change about every 30 seconds.

I'm assured this is normal.

Right?!?

My mom and dad hosted a wonderful going-away party for me last night. It was the six of us (mom, dad, myself, Danny, Erica & Jay). We decorated the tree together, ate dinner and talked about our Christmas excitement and our upcoming travels (me to Africa, mom & dad to Mexico).

As I get ready to leave on my African mission, I'm reminded how blessed I am to be so loved and surrounded by such amazing family.

My mom gave me a beautiful bracelet to wear while I'm gone. She bought it when she visited Dalai Lama's chanters. It will be a thoughtful and wonderful reminder of her support and strength while I'm ministering to the young people of South Africa.

Danny & Erica gave me a beautiful travel journal to take with me.

I cried like a baby of course. But it wasn't their gifts that made me cry. It was their thoughtful words ... and their selfless act of thinking of things I would like to take with me.

Reminders of home.

That I am supported and loved beyond belief.

Lucky me.

6 comments:

Bekah said...

It is normal, I was a wreck before I went on all of my trips, for the three-month one I didn't eat for two days. Those trips are the best experiences of my life, and I wouldnt change a thing.

I think you are doing a great and loving thing.

Nicole said...

so cool. how exciting and nervewracking(sp?!) at the same time.
ill be praying for you guys!

Jessie said...

I am so excited for you!!! You have so much GOOD things in your life - there are a lot of reasons to be crying - and being happy and touched is a good one!

Next time let me sub for you! I am DYING FOR jobs - i keep doing High school and i am getting AWFULLY tired of being mistaken for a student!

Eve said...

Oh my so soon!!! I can't believe it's time already. Lisa I am so proud of you for so many reasons. I will be praying for you and I am really going to miss you!

PS. I would be a basket case if it were me so you are doing great. :)

Wind Princess said...

Africa?? That's so exciting!
You'll have a great time! I hope that you have a safe and happy trip and make a difference there. Take care.

Kelly M said...

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I sobbed through Extreme Makeover Home Edition Sunday night and sat on the couch mumbling/moaning things to Jonathan like, "Please don't die!" and "Look! Look at those cabinets he made!" until he came and sat on the couch next to me and patted my hand. It's going to be great. We're totally normal. And if we're not, we're in this together! :-)