Saturday, May 3, 2008

Kentucky Derby

As quickly as Big Brown won the Kentucky Derby today ... tragedy struck.

I happened to be walking past a TV this afternoon when the final race of the Kentucky Derby was just starting. I've never watched a race, and thought it might be interesting. It really was quite thrilling. Such large, beautiful animals, running in quick bursts with all their might.

Big Brown won by 5 horse-lengths, but it was the 2nd place horse that caught my attention.

Eight Belles was the first filly to run the race in nine years. A few feet past the finish line ... she collapsed after fracturing both front ankles. I held my breath, seeing the image of a beautiful horse laying on it's side on the race track. Vets immediately ran to her, and moments later ... she was euthanized.

I had NO IDEA they did that to horses when they injured like that. 

I just sat there, staring at the TV and started crying. I'm sure the people I was with thought I was crazy. But SERIOUSLY ... WOW. That was a shock. I was wishing there was something I could do.

... I'm still thinking about her ...

No comments: