Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Favorite Holiday Kick-Off

My favorite holiday is coming up.

Martin Luther King Day.

I am totally infatuated with EVERYTHING Martin Luther King.

I've been looking through all my teaching material the last few days ... getting ready to teach my favorite unit to my students.

An entire unit dedicated to Martin Luther King and everything he represents.

There is so much good that has come from him ... and so many teaching points for a teacher.
  • Equality
  • Respect ... for EVERYONE
  • Fight with love ... not words
  • Its what's on the inside that counts
  • Feelings
  • Equal rights
I could go on and on.

And I will ... in the days to come!

I am in awe of his courage, determination, drive, love, and strength.

To start off my unit, I'm reading THE ROUGH-FACE GIRL by, Rafe Martin to my students today.

I strongly suggest you get it and read it with your kids. There are a ton of talking points and lessons in this book.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jodie Howerton said...

I LOVE MLK day, too! So glad Caleb has you as his teacher...Wanna teach 2nd next year?

Jessie said...

I love this holiday as well!! Leon's Story is a great one as well!!

Amy L Cheng said...

Tell me about it. I've read his sermons and WOW...incredible.