Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Go BPA Free!


To say I love Nalgene water bottles ... would be a huge understatement. I avoid wasting plastic bottles and always use a Nalgene bottle for my drinking water.

However, I have recently learned that Nalgene bottles are made with BPA.

You may have heard about BPA in the news lately.

BPA is a synthetic sex hormone that mimics estrogen. It is used to make hard polycarbonate plastic. Ninety-five percent of all baby bottles on the market are made with bisphenol A (Center for Health, Environment & Justice). So are Nalgene bottles (and many other commonly-used goods).

One of my co-workers was so worried about my Nalgene bottle drinking-habits (and my fertility) that she went to REI and bought me a (BPA-free) Camelbak water bottle. Thank you Carolyn! My future children thank you!

I happened to be at REI last weekend and started browsing their water bottle section. I noticed that every Nalgene bottle now has a "BPA Free!" sticker on them.

I also talked to someone in Customer service and learned the following:
  • If you have purchased a Nalgene bottle (from REI) in the last 3 months, it does not contain BPA.
  • If you are an REI member, and used your membership card to purchase your bottles, you can bring back your old ones and they will replace them for free! They can use your REI membership number to look up purchases for the last 5 years.
So ... grab all your Nalgene bottles and head to REI!

Drink safe my loves!

Also, if you have kids, you might want to do research on which bottles are safe for your little kiddos.

3 comments:

Eve said...

Thanks for the great information!

Jodie Howerton said...

Ah Crap! I have 4 NALGENE bottles, and I love them...I bought them more than 3 months ago. I am SO bummed......

Sarah Markley said...

Thanks for the info. And I read your post on the spot. Too funny! =)