Sunday, October 5, 2008

Portland Marathon 2008

It was a honor and a pleasure to watch Mike & Jay run the Portland Marathon this weekend. Jodie, the kids and I were able to cheer for them at the 1 and 5 mile markers, as well as less then 1/4 of a mile before the finish line.

Their drive and determination are admirable and awe-inspiring. Mike and Jay ran together, encouraging each other for 20 miles, until Jay had to make a quick stop at the restroom.

Here is Mike ... less then 1/4 of a mile away from the finish line. He finished in 3 hours, 42 minutes. Way to go Mike. We are so proud of you. I was cheering so hard for you, I didn't realize how tilted my camera was!

Here is Jay, coming up on his 1/4 of a mile from the finish line. He finished in 3 hours and 48 minutes. Babe, I am over-the-top proud of you. Each time I cheered for you, I could barely see you because my eyes were so full of tears. I was bursting with pride. 

You give yourself a goal and you stick to it. You are an example of strength and determination.

I love you.

Ah ... happy boys after some bagels, apples and bananas.

It was so fun watching all the runners. From professional athletes, to cancer survivors and wheel-chair participants ... I was overwhelmed with bravery and sheer strength.

You are ALL an example of how strong the human spirit is. Thank you for sharing your spirit with me today. 

It was a beautiful thing to witness.

2 comments:

Jodie Howerton said...

Our men rock! And, so do we....for the emotional investment we contributed to the race! Kind of glad I'm not having post-marathon calf cramps right now!! :) Loved spending the day with you guys!

becky said...

Ugh I feel like a lump on a log after seeing this! I really need to get my butt up. Thanks for sharing this Lisa.