Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Predictability

This morning, I had an extreme case of Groundhogs Day syndrome.

You know ... when everything feels the same as the day before, and the day before, and the day before that.

Every morning,
  • My alarms goes off at 6:45am
  • I hit snooze as many times as possible
  • I get out of bed, stagger downstairs (a bit chilled from being outside of the warm, protective cocoon of my bed)
  • Flip outside lights off as I pass the light switch
  • Let Cooper out to go outside
  • Feed Cooper
  • Eat a bowl of either (a) Cheerios; (b) oatmeal
  • Make my way back upstairs, turn on bathroom lights, squinting in the bright light
  • Turn on shower water, get undressed
  • Staring at my reflection in the mirror, wonder if my stomach would be more flat if I had worked out the day before
  • Put my hair up in a bun w/a headband, put on shower cap (attractive, right?!?)
  • Get in shower, lather & rinse body with soap, wash face, lather & rinse body again
  • Reach for my towel, neatly hanging in the same predictable place as the day before
  • Once dry, apply body lotion to entire body, along with face lotion and deodorant
  • Get dressed, flat iron hair, put on make-up
  • Put Cooper's collar on him
  • Pack a lunch
  • Load Cooper up into the car to be dropped off at daycare (yes, he's spoiled)
  • Drop Cooper off, drive to work
I do this same routine.

Every day.

Predictability.

Today, I was cognisant and reflective of my routine. What is it about human nature that we crave the predictability of a routine?

Much like my 1st graders who excel in a well-structured, routined environment, so do I.

I feel the most calm and centered.

However, it's important for me not to get suck in the groundhogs day rut. I don't want my days to always be the same. I want to be striving for new goals, have new ideas and stretch myself in new ways.

Sometimes being uncomfortable or challenged moves us to new, exciting places which we never thought we'd go.

Maybe tomorrow ... I'll try to put my left leg into my pants before my right leg.

Watch out now ... I'm getting crazy!

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Dude, I've been eating an english muffin for breakfast for like 12 years now. Every morning, in my car. I hear ya!

MB said...

well, one day you could wear dark pajamas to bed. now THAT would shake things up...