Saturday, August 16, 2008

Food, Like A Drug

Many of you know that I haven't been eating solid foods for a few days (because of a parasite-friend I may (or may not) have brought back from Mexico).

I'm here with an update.

For the 1st 24 hours I was to only eat/drink liquids: apple juice, jello, chicken broth, iced tea, water, etc.

For the next 24 hours, I was on the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. 

For the next 24 hours, I was to stay away from harsh foods which are difficult for your tummy to digest (salad, dairy, peanut butter, anything with trans-fats, etc.).

Yesterday was my 1st day with 'normal' food. But I was still really hesitant:
Breakfast: 2 graham crackers, applesauce and a banana
Lunch: dry toast and some no-chicken noodle soup
Dinner: I went ALL OUT (not something I recommend to anyone).

Jay and I were over at my parent's house out on their boat last night and we all ordered Pagliacci Pizza & Salad. Okay, two bad things here: salad & cheese. Hmmm ... how was my stomach going to react?

I kinda went crazy for someone who hadn't eaten anything substantial in 4 days. I ate some salad and two pieces of pizza. You can only imagine how full I was (after eating so little).

I'll tell ya what it did to me ... it put me into a drug-like induced freakin' comma (not knowing from personal experience, but what I've seen on Intervention). 

I passed OUT!

After doing the dishes, I walked from the kitchen to the couch and passed out for 2 hours! I'm talking the kind of sleep where you have no idea what's going on around you. I woke up groggy, my legs were heavy and my equilibrium was totally off. It was very weird.

I went home, and slept with very vivid, random, dreams (ferry boats being towed by semis floating in the sky, the world being attacked by 'something' resembling the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man, me dancing in front of a bunch of people but not knowing the routine, etc).

Like I said, weird.

Needless to say, I'm back to bland foods today because my stomach hates me again. It's gurgly and irritated and I'm pretty sure, quite pissed at me. 

My culture should come back from the lab on Monday or Tuesday to see if I brought back a 'friend' from Mexico. 

We shall see.

Until then .... it's bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and all other things easy to digest!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've had a similar dream of the stay puffed marshmallow kind. It was a cross between that and a giant transformer.