Wednesday, April 16, 2008

No More Birthdays


At the beginning of each school year, I like to see which students know their own birthday month. I call-out each month: “If your birthday is in January, you may have a seat in Circle Time.” “If you birthday is in February, you may have a seat in Circle Time” …

This year, I got the most unusual response ever. There were two kids left, after I had gone through all the months.
I said to one of the students, “When is your birthday?”
“I don’t know, my mom never told me.” He responded. Odd, but good enough. I told him he could have a seat in Circle Time.
I turned to the other student, “When is your birthday?”
“I don’t got no more.” She said.
Hmmmm …. How to respond!?!
I say, “What do you mean?”
“I used ‘em all up.” She explained.
Wow … I’m at a loss here.
I said, “Okay, have a seat in Circle Time.”

But I couldn't stop thinking about it (and still can’t). How COMPLETELY PISSED would you be if you were only 6 years old and you thought you’d used up all your birthdays!?!

No comments: