Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Materialistically Speaking


Vs.

I’ve noticed that a lot of people with blogs, have adorable children to write funny things about. I have a dog. He doesn’t speak or do funny things, so I’m left with myself. It seems extremely narcissistic of me to write about myself every day. Today, in an attempt to get-it-out-of-my-system, I’ve decided to write the most vain, materialistic, shallow (though it really IS what I think about) blog possible. Here we go:

I’ve been on my own with my single-girl, teacher salary for over a year now but I still have nicer clothes from when I was married (read: two incomes = more shopping).

I wouldn’t say I’m a materialistic person. I’m not attached to ‘things.’ However, that being said, I LOVE nice clothes. I do. I’m not gonna lie (and why would I?).

So, here’s my new thing (now that I’m a mortgage-paying, super-budgeting, spending-conscience, do-you-want-to-eat-or-have-those-shoes type of gal): I LOVE mixing nicer clothes with less expensive clothes.

Here’s are some examples of my favorite outfits:
1. Lacoste shoes, Citizen’s of Humanity jeans with Target zip-up hoodie. LOVE IT!
2. Franco Sarto boots, Paige jeans, shirt from Target.
3. Nine West pumps, Anthropology skirt, Target long-sleeved Mossimo shirt.

Here are two games I play:
1. “How ‘inexpensive’ and ‘cute’ can my next purchase be?”
2. “How long can I go without buying a clothing item?” I’m actually really good at this one!

I have yet to buy clothes anywhere but Target, but I’m totally excited to. If any of you know of great places to buy clothes, let me know!

I also have to admit that I LOVE getting compliments on my cheap clothes. My favorite of all time was when a woman working at Nordstrom, complimented me on my (fake) Chanel purse.
I’ll never forget it:
Nordstrom Lady (in a fancy voice): Oh. My. Gosh. I just LOVE your bag!
Me (totally freaking out that I’ve tricked her!): Thank you!
Nordstrom Lady (same fancy voice): Did you get it here?
Me (contemplating whether to lie): No.

And I left it at that. I just said No. Not “no, it’s fake”, but just “no.” That way, I didn’t LIE and therefore could keep my dignity (and morality) intact.

After all, if she can’t tell it’s fake, why should I?

1 comment:

Jodie Howerton said...

I love this story! Target rocks!