I mean ... I suppose I could.
But I didn't.
When I walked into the cafeteria today, the kids were chanting "BARACK O-BA-MA, BARACK O-BA-MA, BARACK O-BA-MA!"
It was hilarious and darling at the same time.
Because as we all know, kids like whoever their parents or friends like.
And they don't really know why.
So ... I thought I'd walk around and ask WHO they are voting for, and WHY.
I didn't promt them at all. And only asked kids who were already talking about voting and the next president.
I asked 15 kids.
Twelve of them said they're voting for Barack Obama. I asked them WHY. Here are their (unfiltered) responses:
- Because he's cool
- He has good thinking stuff
- He's really good and nice
- He's wanting to save the environment
- He has good ideas
- I think he would do a better job then John McCain
- He's black, and I like black people
- (one student chimes in) Oh, I like Jamaican people!
- He is younger and will have a better life
- He ROCKS because he has the word 'rock' in his name
- He wants to stop the war and that is a good thing because innocent people are dying
- He's like Martin Luther King, but younger
- I don't know why
- I don't know
Please don't take offense to any of these answers.
They are straight out of the mouths of 1st and 2nd graders, sitting around a cafeteria table talking about politics.