Monday, November 24, 2008

Funny Students

My students are on a roll today ...

We are writing a Pilgrim book in class this week. This particular student dedicated his book to "the United States."

Interesting.

I asked him to go back to his desk and draw a picture of it (you know, just to see what he comes up with).

This is what he came back with (sorry it's backwards)...
I said, "I didn't know the Unites States looks like a person!?!"

He said, "She does." (come on Lisa, resist laughing out loud!)

I said, "Well ... that's amazing."

And he said, "Yah, the United States is a person. Her name is George Bush."

Oh boy.

(For the record, I laughed out loud when he said this, then said, "Good job, I love your drawing.")

************

And then there's this one ....

I had the kids imagine their favorite place outside. In the top box, they had to draw or write what it looks like. In the middle box, they had to draw what it sounds like. And in the bottom box they had to draw what it smells like.

This particular student's favorite place was his Grandma & Grandpa's house on San Juan Island. He drew a picture of their house in the top box and a boat in the middle box. But I was totally confused by the bottom box.

So I called him up to my desk:
Me: Hey buddy, I love your drawings, but I can't figure out this picture.
Student: Oh, that's smoke.
Me: Ooooh, I love the smell of smoke. Do you have camp fires up there?
Student: No, it smells like smoke because my Grandpa smokes.
Me: Oh, I see.
Kinda sad, right?

No comments: