Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A House Divided

I have to be honest.

I lost my cool this morning.

Jay is such an over-the-top Cougar fan it (sometimes) drives me nuts.

Now listen, I love the Huskies. I'm a husky. But I don't need to be all up in your face to show you my pride.

Seattlelites think Boston Red Sox fans are crazy ... ?

Have you ever met a Coug?

It's just too much.

Now, I don't want to be throwing Jay under the bus or anything, but the guy has Cougar EVERYTHING. T-shirts. Sweatshirts. Coffee mugs. Pens. Tire cover. Beer mugs. Licence plate cover. Hats. Flags. Sweats. Wine glasses (for crying out loud). Note pads. A freakin' recycled bag for grocery shopping (yah, that one came home the other day).

I can only take so much.

I generally don't say anything. I want him to love his team. I want him to passionately cheer for them. I love his zest for the Cougars. His energy for the teams. It's awesome. And totally adorable.

But this morning ... I blew my top.

It just became too much.

I was casually flat-ironing my hair when a song popped into my head. It was a song I had cheered to back in the day.

The second (and I mean SECOND) I hit the 3rd note of the song, Jay shouted, "YES, the Cougar fight song!"

Oh boy.

I said, "It's also a cheer song, I cheered to it in High School."

"NO! It's the cougar fight song!"

"I understand that, but it's also a cheer song for any team."

You can imagine how the rest of the conversation/passionate argument went.

Him defending "his Cougs."

Me defending that fact that not everything revolves around the Cougs.

Etc., etc., etc.

I guess my point is, I'm a tried-and-true Husky fan, but I know Jay isn't. So I choose to not have 100% of everything revolve around them. Okay, I'll be fair ... 90%.

The fact is, we are a house divided.

We must learn to live in peace and harmony.

And I do agree I lost my cool.

But seriously people.

3 comments:

Jodie Howerton said...

I just laughed out loud. My California relatives asked why I was laughing. I couldn't explain the Coug-Husky conflict....

So, I a laughing hysterically on the inside and hailing his post as pure genious...

Diane Davis said...

um, twin. this might be one of those times we have a sibling feud. because i am a HUGE oregon duck fan and one cannot possibly be a duck fan and like the huskies. we don't care about the cougs because they usually stink, but the huskies are sometimes good and we hate them. with a vengence. i'm sure you have heard of the term "huck the fuskies." it's all over eugene when we play you.

go ducks.

Jessie said...

Hahaha I GOTTA tell ya! I TOTALLY get where Jay is coming from! We bleed Crimson!! Cant help it!